- Government is corrupted, flawed but necessary
- Market externalizes costs, exploits labor for profit, the invisible hand needs a guide.
- Environmental science identifies real limits (climate)
- Agnostic or Creation Care. Nature has inherent value.
- Wealth inequity has increased to historic and unacceptable levels
- Property rights are socially constructed and have changed over time.
- Alternative values and lifestyles, less materialism
- Focus on community
- Pro Planning
- Highly educated, young, in debt, out of work
- Crony capitalism: big business has captured government so that it gets favorable regulations, subsidies, and projects
- Wealth gets access to government power
- Loss of opportunity for middle class life, jobs, status, security, hope
- We need more autonomy
- People need to accept more responsibility
- Government is the problem.
- The market is good. Its outcomes are good, natural, God-given or otherwise accepted as given.
- Environmental science is alarmist (climate, scarcity, pollution)
- More fundamental Christian: God will provide, humans > nature
- Against socialist wealth redistribution programs such as smart growth that invests infrastructure to service urban areas (where elites and minorities live)
- Property rights are inviolate
- American values & exceptionalism, consumerism, grow our economy and world power
- Focus on individual
- Midde class, older, anti-intellectual